Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Mon 1 March - Café Culture

This is what it's all about. I've been waiting almost 4 months for this. The chance to finally look all sophisticated and European (because being British means inhabiting another continent altogether. Not sure which one) and drink coffee, outside, in the Grand Place of Mons. A glorious, sun-drenched late winter/(very)early spring's day.

The Grand Place looked splendid, bathed in sunshine against the deep azure sky, and the sound of people chatting and drinking coffee and beer outside for probably the first time since October. In fact, only one café had its tables and chairs out, and for that it was doing a roaring trade. Couldn't quite understand why the others hadn't followed suit. Still, a great way to spend a few hours: reading and speaking French to my 'language exchange partner.' I say exchange, but it's more of a one way thing with S more than happy to only speak in French, which suits me fine.

Everyone was still well wrapped up in coats and scarves though as we still haven't quite reached double figures yet.

I could get very used to this. And I plan to.

No comments:

Post a Comment